Saturday, June 21

I've been studying about ancient Hebrew meditation all morning after my scripture reading took me on a rabbit trail (June 6, 2014). I was reading about Issac and how he went to the open field to meditate right before he saw Rebecca for the very first time (Gen 24:63). This struck my curiosity and wanted some details since this was way before the bible was written and way before the law (400 years prior) itself was written. In a nutshell, this type of meditation was most likely the ancient form of meditation in which man cleaved unto God. They were giving themselves over in silence and deep thought toward the Creator, Usually resulting in prophetic knowledge and wisdom, possibly even falling into trances and receiving revelation.
Other forms of Hebrew meditation have been taught since then but all involve knowledge Issac never had. Some meditated on the first 5 books of the bible, some on the names of God, and some on the precepts of God, some on prayers in a book, etc. I could imagine that Issac may have had circulated writings about creation, maybe even Enoch's writings about creation and prophetic insight of the end and destruction of all creation. I'm just speculating at this point, however the truth is that Issac indeed got away from everything to be alone with God and to meditate. I've got a gut feeling this wasn't just a religious practice but instead a relationship discipline. A tool he most likely learned from his father Abraham that was successful in SEEKING God and finding Him as well. This reminds me so much of the times when Jesus just needed to be alone with His Father. Where He withdrew Himself and went up unto a hill and just spent time, even much time, sometimes all night long. I believe Jesus wasn't coming back empty handed from those times and I believe the "Friend of God", Abraham, didn't either. Just as God Himself said "Shall I hide from Abraham what i am doing" (Gen 18:17).
Anyway, this is a very cool verse from the Psalms, (down below Psalm 119:97-100). It seems the author was focused more on the law, precepts of God. I like how it says "For they are ever with me". It is like he was declaring ownership of the commandments of God. The way it was written wasn't like the author was bragging about his religious status of being a victorious doer of the law like many others fell short of: the majority. It was more like the hidden meanings of the law and the commandments had produced wisdom and knowledge within himself which gave him power to overcome even his enemies. One form of ancient Hebrew meditation was literally just this. It was prophecy and wisdom becoming one during mediation. Many ancient Hebrew writings were written through this type of meditation.

Psalm 119:97-100 (NKJV)
97 Oh, how I love Your law!
It is my meditation all the day.
98 You, through Your commandments, make me wiser than my enemies;
For they are ever with me.
99 I have more understanding than all my teachers,
For Your testimonies are my meditation.
100 I understand more than the ancients,
Because I keep Your precepts.

I can't help but think of the Words of Christ being so powerful right now. The words in RED, the words before Christ ever shed His blood on the cross. How important meditation on these Words must be. As the famous apostle John wrote, "For the LAW was given through Moses, but GRACE and TRUTH came through Jesus Christ." (John 1:17). And previously he wrote, "The WORD become flesh...dwelt among us.....full of GRACE and TRUTH" (vs 14). If Issac's mediation was to give himself over to the God of Abraham his Father (closeness: cleaving unto God) then I think it is a model we could draw from to grow the inner man that is being formed into Christ. A tool to be established and strengthened in grace in our innermost being. Paul (whom I believe was the author of Hebrews) spoke of having our hearts 'established in grace' (Hebrews 13:9). He also spoke to the people of Colosse and said, "Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord." and again "Your Word have I hid in my heart" (vs 11), written in the same Psalm I referred to early about meditation.
It is safe to say that our hearts must be establish or strengthened by grace. That the Words of Christ must dwell in us richly. That the Words of Christ will deliver us from the fiery darts of our enemies. That the meditation of our hearts should always be on the Lord, His Word, His Character, His miracles and wonders. It is safe to say that it is a great thing to have knowledge of scriptures, and it is an even greater thing to take that knowledge to an alone place, a place of solitude, and in the quietness of our hearts lay it all before the Lord with curiosity, praise, and childlike faith to allow God to strengthen our innermost beings with His Grace and fill us with His wisdom and power. Go forth in solitude with the Lord expecting that you will not return home empty handed! "FOR THEY ARE EVER WITH ME"!! Let His Word be forever with you.
And finally brethren: 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!